Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

I made a fantastic chicken pot pie last night if I do say so myself!

I had roasted some chicken thighs on Saturday and i made too many on purpose so i could use the leftover meat for a dish on Monday.

So I started by cooking some chopped onions and carrots in olive oil in a large frying pan. I cooked them very slow (on med low) because i wanted them to be very soft and not burn.
While those are cooking, peel and chop up 4 small potatoes and boil them until almost done.
When the onions were mostly cooked, i added some chopped raw chicken breast that i seasoned with salt and montreal chicken spices. i also turned up the heat a bit to get them going faster but you really have to watch that the onions don't burn.
When the chicken was mostly cooked through, i started to make a gravy by melting a tablespoon of  butter in that same pan. When it is melted and bubbly, add a tablespoon of flour (i just eyeball it) and whisk together until the mixture is smooth and bubbly. Then you can add your chicken broth and mix it all up so it gets nice and thick. I used about a cup of chicken broth, but it all depends on how thick or thin you want it.
Then add the leftover chicken, cooked potatoes, and some frozen peas. Season it up with salt and pepper. This is your filling!

So for the pie crust i cheated and got pre-made. I am all for homemade everything, but this is one area that i am willing to take a shortcut.
I hate it when the bottom of a piecrust is soggy, so i put the bottom layer in the pie pan and baked it at 425 for 8 minutes.
I took it out and let it rest for a couple minutes and then added the filling and put the top filling on and put slits in the top.
I baked it for about half an hour which was a bit too long because the crust ends burned a tad. It was delicious though!!! I can't wait to eat it for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment