Sunday, April 21, 2013

I Am A Lazy Composter



I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables these days. I am basically a vegetarian, although I do eat fish and eggs. I don't know what you call me, maybe a "no meat eater?" Anyway, I have a lot of veggie waste and I am a terrible composter to date. Today that changed! My husband is SO cool, I explained the idea that I read about a year ago, he went to Home Depot and put the idea into place almost immediately.

My problem is that I am essentially lazy, like most people, when it comes to garbage. Sure, we recycle a heck of a lot more than before, but I am guilty of throwing out compostable items such as banana peels, asparagus ends, and egg shells. All of which make awesome compost.

The idea is to keep unsightly and smelly compost piles concealed and protected from snooping wildlife. Get two large (30 gallon) galvanized steel garbage cans. Please make sure they are made in the USA. Drill holes in the lower 1/3 of the cans for drainage and worm entry. Dig a hole for each can in the ground so that they are out of the ground only enough to be able to secure the lids. Fill the first can with kitchen waste and yard clippings. You don't even have to turn the waste because the worms are supposed to do the work for you! It will most likely take months to fill the first can. I have yet to see how long it will take, but the article I got the idea from said it could even take a year! Once the first can is full, you leave it alone and start filling the second can. By the time the second can is full, the first can should be full of wonderful compost! Then you just shovel it out onto your land as desired and start all over again.

Since I have so much waste everyday, I have a smaller can that I am keeping by the back door that I can fill and then empty into the larger cans when I have time. Remember, I am lazy when it comes to this stuff, so I am making this as easy as possible. Thank God I have a husband who is handy and willing to fulfill my "honey-do" list.

On a totally unrelated subject, I tried coffee for the first time since February 12. It was terrible!!! I had a couple sips, made it into iced coffee, and still couldn't drink it. I can't believe it. I was utterly addicted and unable to function without it before. I do still drink tea in the morning, but it's not the same. I challenge you to try quitting coffee if you have ever had the desire to and thought it wasn't possible. It IS!

No comments:

Post a Comment