Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thoughts on dogs

It's a little frustrating not knowing when i will get Kako. I really want her to be with her siblings until she is 8 weeks old. Apparently it is very important for her so that she is more adaptable with other dogs in the future.
At the end of my hike of the Seven Sisters a few weeks ago, there was an altercation between a sweet small puppy and a big golden retriever. The puppy ended up getting nipped on the ear and she cried like a little baby. I felt awful! The owner was a young girl around 20 years old and she was so upset. It was a Sunday and her dog was bleeding and clearly upset. I was upset too!!! I probably will never forget that.

It makes me very nervous and at the time i thought if i ever get a dog, i won't let them near other dogs. But that's silly. Dogs are everywhere and i want to take her hiking with me which means she will be around other dogs. If i raise her to be confident and playful around other dogs, she will have a fine time meeting other dogs. And people for that matter. I want her to be the kind of dog that doesn't scare people and that everyone likes. No one likes a scary dog!

I ordered her "long term confinement area" yesterday. It's a 5x5x4 pen that we will have in the finished basement while we are away at work. When i am home, she will be training in her crate. So every hour or so i will bring her to go potty outside, get her reward and then puppy play time and more training. They say you have to start from Day 1. I don't know when that will be yet, but i will be ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment